August 20, 2014 in , ,

Dilly Green Beans

Ask me a year ago and I would tell you of my strong dislike of dill...however, I am slowly coming around ;).

My husband asked me to pickle some green beans this year so that we had a stash on hand for drinks and cheese and crackers. I decided to make a large batch with the beans I got at the Farmer's Market (I quadrupled the recipe below). Here is the recipe I used:
Dilly Green Beans
yields 4 pints or 2 quarts

2 lbs green beans
1/4 cup salt
2 1/2 cups vinegar
2 1/2 cups water
4 pinches red chili flakes (divided)
4 cloves garlic
4 heads dill

While prepping, set clean jars in a dishwasher and put on a Quick Rinse cycle with a high temperature. Trim ends off of green beans. Combine salt, vinegar, and water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add a pinch of red chili flakes, a clove of garlic, and a head of dill to each hot pint jar. Pack beans lengthwise into jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Ladle hot liquid over beans, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Tighten caps onto jars. Process jars for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.

SHARE 0 comments

Add your comment

© Allie's Adventures in the Kitchen, Crafting, and the Kootenays! · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS